The City of Warwick is home to two lighthouses, the Warwick Neck Lighthouse and the Conimicut Lighthouse. Both are still functioning, and although neither are open to the public, both serve as glorious reminders of the past.
The Conimicut Lighthouse sits offshore on a rocky ledge at the edge of Conimicut Point Park, and is unaccessible to visitors. Built in 1868 to help aid boats in the dangerous rocky waters between Rocky Point and Bristol, the lighthouse had no quarters; keepers were forced to take rowboats out to the lighthouse each day. The first quarters were built in 1874, but were soon destroyed by an ice floe and never were reconstructed.
In 1960, this was the last lighthouse in the country to be electrified; prior to that, it's bright white light, which signals every 2.5 seconds, was powered by kerosene. Today, it stands proudly in the distance for those viewing it from the park.
For more information please visit www.lighthouse.cc/conimicut